I never was much of a joiner as a kid… rules and stuff have always made me chafe. :~) Therefore, I wasn’t in the Girl Scouts, and so I’ve never known the validation that surely must come from earning those badges. (Am I crazy or didn’t there used to be sewing badges? Did they get replaced with ones like Netiquette? Not that netiquette isn’t important, mind you…) Okay, so these musings have precisely nothing to do with this blog post, except for being what the word “scout” brings to mind for me.
Have you seen Grainline Studio‘s pattern for the Scout Woven Tee? I have to admit that the first time I saw this pattern (months ago), I did not immediately recognize the value. Would I like to have a super-simple pattern for a basic woven top in my arsenal? Naturally, but did I really need to buy one? Surely my pattern stash had something that would qualify. And I wasn’t all that convinced that a dartless *insert anything woven here* would work on me anyway. Then, I saw a friend wear it. I couldn’t believe there were no telltale ill-fit lines or anything, even though she has a full bust as I do. I had to try it.
My first top shown here was made from a floral rayon challis, purchased from Fabric.com this past spring. It finally worked! I still find this fabric exceeding difficult to cut and sew, but it feels so great to wear that it’s worth it. By the by, this was the same fabric that I initially tried to cut for my first Taffy. Therefore, due to the resulting yardage limitations, my top has a center back seam — where the print somewhat matched, miraculously and unintentionally. I couldn’t have matched it nearly so well had I been trying.
As far as fitting goes, I started with a size 18. The bust measurement for this size (44″) matches my high bust, which is how I choose my size with just about all pattern companies, since it usually fits my shoulders well. It turned out to be the right choice — the shoulders were perfect. Then, I did a 4″ full bust adjustment, graded out some more at the hem (hips), and added 1″ of length to both the front and back pieces. That’s it! Very easy and fast, as far as alterations go for me. I ended up finding the extra length unnecessary and removed it from my pattern after making this one.
I used baby hems throughout. I learned this technique from a friend, but the closest tutorial I’ve found online is here.
I just used some bias tape from my stash for the neckline. Yeah, like I was going to make bias strips from rayon challis. I had already managed to get the pattern pieces cut out without incident; I wasn’t going to push my luck. But I still had a bit of an issue with the neckline, which was totally my fault:
Consider that a PSA for staystitching, folks, as if you needed one. Ah well.
If you had told me last month that one of the better fitting tops in my closet would be a woven with set-in sleeves (usually another fitting problem for me) and no darts, I would have tried to have you committed. This is an incredibly well-drafted pattern, and it has skyrocketed straight to the top of my favorites list — thanks Jen from Grainline! One day I’ll make one from a gorgeous Liberty print like the sample on her site…
Some of you may have noticed a variety of technical issues with my little site this past six weeks or so. These issues have played no small part in the lack of new posts during that time period, as well. I’m hoping, fingers crossed, that it has been resolved at this stage. I apologize for any errant feedburner emails or jibberish stuff you’ve encountered. Frustrating!