My second Scout is complete! Man, I love this pattern. In addition to the lovely phenomenon that enables me to wear something without darts, I really adore the shape of the neckline and sleeves as well. Because I see many (many many) versions of this top in my future, I am slowly tweaking the fit to ensure that it’s exactly how I want it.
I tweak my favorite patterns (and recipes) a lot, until I’ve finally reached
perfection satisfaction. It’s awesome to have it just how I want it — I can pull out the pattern and cut right away, without fear of messing up an awesome fabric. Well, no fear from a fit perspective anyway. ;~) If you ever see me make something only once, either 1) I hated it and felt it wasn’t even worth my time to improve, or 2) it was spot-on the first time. The latter has never happened yet, but hey, a girl can dream.
For this version of the Scout, which I’ve affectionately dubbed my electrocuted candy cane top, I widened the sleeve just a scant 1/2″ and shaved out a little excess from the upper chest area at the armscye. As I mentioned in my last post, I also removed the inch of length that I had initially added.
This fabric is a cotton lawn from Fabric.com. (I’m fairly sure my mom would call it “wild.”) It fell decidedly into the WTF-was-I-thinking category as I pulled it from my stash. But I decided that it would look better in either my closet or the donation pile than it did on the stash shelves, so I pressed on. I have to say it grew on me as I worked with it. (It has not yet grown on my husband, but whatever.) I did feel the need to temper the print a little with some solid dark gray piping trim. Shhh… yes it did help. Did too.
I’ve almost reached the fit that I want. Next time, I will widen the back by just a teenytinybit between mid-armscye and bust. I feel a lack of ease there that I didn’t notice with my first version, possibly because of the different fabrics. Or maybe I inadvertently gave myself some extra room with the center back seam the first time. Whichever. At this stage, I think that’s the only remaining tweak I need, unless the next version reveals a new one. ;~) A nice benefit of this process is that I’m getting some great everyday tops in my wardrobe along the way!
I’ve had a couple of on- and off-line inquiries on how I did the FBA on this pattern, since it doesn’t have a dart. I’m going to work on a photo tutorial, and I will post it next week…